Reschenthaler Helps Secure Federal Grant for Local Fire Companies
WASHINGTON, PA – Today, Congressman Guy Reschenthaler (PA-14) announced 17 fire companies in Pennsylvania’s 14th Congressional District will receive federal funding through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) program. These departments joined an application submitted by seventy volunteer fire departments from across the Commonwealth, which was awarded a total of $874,674.55 to be used to enhance the safety of firefighters during the COVID-19 pandemic by procuring personal protective equipment.
“Our brave firefighters put themselves at risk every day to keep our communities safe, even during crises such as the COVID-19 pandemic,” Reschenthaler said. “This funding will ensure our local first responders have the resources they need to respond to emergencies and protect residents during the coronavirus crisis. I am proud to support the AFG program and will continue to ensure those in our communities have the personnel, equipment, and training necessary to do their jobs as safely as possible.”
The primary goal of the AFG program is to meet the firefighting and emergency response needs of fire departments and non-affiliated emergency medical service organizations. Since 2001, the AFG program has helped firefighters and other first responders obtain critically needed equipment, protective gear, emergency vehicles, training, and other resources necessary to protect the public and emergency personnel from fire and related hazards.
The following received funding:
- Allegheny Township Fire Department
- Claridge Volunteer Fire Department
- Crabtree Volunteer Fire Department
- Fairfield Township Volunteer Fire Company
- Fayette EMS
- Level Green Volunteer Fire Department
- Manor Volunteer Fire Department
- Murrysville Medic 1
- New Kensington EMS
- New Kensington Fire Department
- North Strabane Township Fire Department
- Paintertown Volunteer Fire Department
- Penn Township Ambulance Rescue
- Pleasant Unity Volunteer Fire Department
- Rostraver West Newton Emergency Services
- Sewickley Township Ambulance Service
- South Greensburg Fire Department
For more information on the AFG program, please visit: https://www.fema.gov/welcome-assistance-firefighters-grant-program. Additionally, interested organizations may contact Matt Mackowiak at Congressman Reschenthaler’s Washington district office at 724-206-4800 or by email at Matt.Mackowiak@mail.house.gov.